Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bad Networking

Straight from the pages of Teen Vogue...
''From misinterpreted text messages to bullies on Facebook, is digital drama ruining your life?"
Hmm.. ask yourself that question...
Answer it truthfully....
YES!!!

     Facebook and Twitter, as well as text messaging started off harmless with good intentions. For lack of a better figure of speech, those 'good intentions' have been hot to hell. Everyone has disregarded the 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all' lesson too. I will admit in the past I didn't use Facebook or Twitter to 'connect with friends',but to more or less say hurtful things digitally because I wouldn't dare say the hurtful things to someones face! Facebook, Twitter, and text messaging have a tendency to be taken totally the wrong way in many situations. Things people say digitally can be turned around, and misunderstood. 
     I personally was fed up with being drug into drama which didn't have anything to do with me, tired of being associated with antagonistic things via Facebook, and most of all I was beyond over the negativity involved in what people had to say. Sure, you can voice your opinion, but why do so when no one wants to hear it? 
     I don't necessarily remember the exact post that was my last straw, but I've been Facebook/ Twitter free for almost three months. I get asked "how do you live without it?", "aren't you so bored? i would be!" quite frequently. But trust me, their is more to life than Facebook. I say Facebook because Twitter is just boring. One of my teachers, the one I have mentioned in previous posts, deleted hers a mere few weeks before the rest of us. Myself, and three other students in this Teen Living course all deleted ours the same day. The teacher, one other girl, and myself are the only ones who have remained "Facebook/ Twitter free".. and it feels great! It's kind of exciting knowing no one has a clue what your doing, who your hanging out with, etc. I also love not knowing all the drama. Not knowing = not being drug into...win/win! For some reasons my friends get a spark of joy from filling me in on who's fighting, who's loving, that sort of jazz.. Personally, now, I could care less what anyone is doing! The only disadvantage of being anti-social network is if you have family scattered all across the state, as do I, you miss out on seeing things they are up too. But if it was highly important, I'd get a call. I would not say I was bullied via Facebook, but I can assure you I wasn't always 'welcome' in some peoples minds. Why they didn't delete me instead of trash talk me is beyond me, but everyone is entitled to make decisions for themselves! 

Here is the fun part...I challenge you: 
*if any of my readers are non-religious i apologize*
  During the season of Lent*, which begins today (Ash Wednesday) and runs all the way until the day before Good Friday (Thursday, April 5th, 2012) I triple double dog DARE you, to go all of Lent without Facebook. If you would like to participate in this challenge, leave a comment telling me you are. Spend the time you would usually spend on Facebook doing something new and energetic! Try cooking dinner for your family a few times a week, or spending more time outdoors. Maybe focus on your school work for a change. Whatever motivates you to make that change to show God that you can put your wants aside, and worship him. Instead of laying in bed, right before bed, checking your Facebook... pray. Not knowing what to pray about isn't an excuse.  Start by telling the Lord all the things your so very thankful for... the rest will come naturally. 
Are you going to except my challenge??


***The purpose of Lent is to provide that purification by weaning men from sin and selfishness through self-denial and prayer, by creating in them the desire to do God’s will and to make His kingdom come by making it come first of all in their hearts♥




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment with any type of feedback- I'd love to hear from you!